How to perform the exercise
1. Lie down on your back. Plant your feet on the floor, hip-width apart. Bend your knees and place your arms across your chest. Contract your abs and inhale.
2. Exhale and lift your upper body, keeping your head and neck relaxed.
3. Inhale and return to the starting position.
1. Use your core to raise your upper body. If the movement comes from your head or neck, you’ll increase the risk for injury.
2. Move in a slow, controlled manner. Rapid movements won’t engage the right muscles.
3. You can place your hands behind your head, but this can strain your neck. It’s best to try this hand placement after you’ve mastered the proper form.