How to perform the exercise
1. Position the bar just below shoulder level and adjust the safety stops right above knee height.
2. Place your pinkies on the smooth ring of the barbell.
3. Get under the bar and position at the base of your traps looking straight ahead.
4. Unrack the bar by rotating your wrists to remove the safety hooks.
5. Take a deep breath and keep your elbows in line with your torso.
6. Descend by simultaneously pushing the hips back and bending the knees.
7. Once your thighs reach parallel with the floor, reverse the movement by driving your feet into the floor and flexing your quads.
8. Finish the lift by exhaling as you fully extend the hips and knees.
1. Low bar will not work well with smith machine squats due to the completely vertical bar path.
2. Toe angle is highly individual – experiment to see what feels best for you.
3. Experiment with a “false” (i.e. thumb less) grip as this helps to eliminate elbow and wrist issues in some folks.
4. Drive through the whole foot – you want 3 points of contact: big toe, little toe, and heel.
5. Imagine you’re trying to drop your back pockets straight towards your heels. Down, not back.